Wednesday, June 25, 2014

No such thing as perfect

Over the past year I have read my fair share of books and talked with some very knowledgeable people on the subject of training programs. The knowledge I have gained has opened my eyes to the vast freedom of training.

For far too long I have over complicated my ideas on training; always searching for that "perfect" program, one that has never been found or created ( sounds like Indiana Jones or something). Well after all the countless hours I spent dreaming over this ideal program, I was hit in the head with the phrase " everything works" quoted by Dan John. This couldn't be true, I thought.  I was destined to find this special program and it was going to work forever. NOT! It all comes down to staying ahead of your body.  It doesn't want to get bigger muscles or lose the pudge around you midsection; it wants to stay safe, just how it is. But you have to trick your body once it adapts so you can keep making progress towards your goal. There are many ways to do this such as, increase the training weight, density style training which is more work in less time, adding sets or more volume in your workouts, and the list can keep going on and on. The idea is to change it up often and not let your body get into the same old, boring routine.  Every 4-6 weeks is a good marker.

 So was all my time wasted?  Not at all in my opinion. I just didn't want to believe it could be that easy. I thought I need to find the Holy Grail, when in reality all I had to do was try something for 6 weeks and move on. I mean honestly give a program 100% of my commitment and I would most likely see some type of results. If you’re always program hoping or mixing this with that you will never find out what truly works or what is wasting your time.


Stick to the basic human movements, another gem from Dan John. These movements are Push, Pull, Hinge, Squat, Carry, and some type of ground work like the Get-up. You hit these basic movements a few times a week while varying the intensity, add some weekly walking, I bet you will see results. Not only will you see great results, but your movement will be a lot better than when you started. It is really that simple, there are no magic tricks. Just hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment